Monday, March 22, 2010

Screwballs!

I hate the Porky’s series. It’s angry, joyless and the characters are hateful stick figures. With that said, I should probably loathe Screwballs being that it’s a cheap Canadian knock-off of Bob Clark’s inexplicably popular trilogy but I don’t. Screwballs is everything that Porky’s should’ve been. It’s silly, weird and so unselfconsciously stupid that it ultimately wins you over.




I love everything about that title sequence (and I wish the full version was on Youtube) from the opening site gag that doesn’t work to the choreographed prancing the cheerleaders perform on their way to school to the fact that the horny fat guy’s bike has four training wheels, Screwballs really was the greatest sex comedy ever made. Not the funniest mind you, but still the greatest.


Oh, and on a vaguely related note, here's Screwballz! the Love Connection parody that ran on an episode of Mr. Show. I'm including this only because I can't think of Screwballs without thinking of Screwballz.

2 comments:

  1. You can find the trailer up at the top of a Google video search. The problem with Porky's is the same as with Happy Days where its actually the 70s and 80s trying to mimic the myth of the fifties. Screwballs doesn't try to follow any logic whatsoever. I also like how someone who works for the school gets detention with the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part about Screwballs is the fact that when Purity Busch's breasts are finally revealed the film just ends. It's like the film was like, "Alright you got what you paid for. Now put your pants back on and go home".

    Oh, and thanks for the heads up. I've been searching for that trailer on Youtube for a while now.

    ReplyDelete